Monday 19 March 2018

Off the Shelf: Bitten by Desire by Annabelle Jacobs



When last we left off in the human/shifter universe of Annabelle Jacobs, Nathan and Jared had found love and defeated a rogue gang of shifters while they were at it...or had they? Alpha Newell of the Primrose Pack and Alpha Harley of the Regent’s Park Pack who previously joined forces now play a subtle game of back with one trying to stage a takeover and the other willing to use all he has to resist

Enter Sebastian, Jared’s best friend and unwitting pawn in this new stage of the game and Tim, cool, calm and mostly collected Regent’s Park Pack doctor. Having to pretend to be dating Sebastian to protect him from rogues and anyone else out there with ill intent will be no hardship for Tim who’s been fighting a growing attraction for him...or will it? Everything seems set for a slow trip to bonding until Tim learns that recent events have Sebastian rethinking his stance on shifters and doubting he could ever be with one as anything other than friends with some very lovely benefits.

Sebastian was really fun and I totally understood where he was coming from with his aversion of any type of relationship with a shifter. After seeing his best friend fall for a shifter in a way that seemed to be despite himself, the last thing Sebastian wants is to dabble with shifters. He wants to fall in love without what he calls the influence of any “shifter magic” and this is all even though he has some strong feelings for Tim. Sebastian had so much going on with him. He struggled with money and had this sense of pride in that while he was happy to live in Jared’s apartment, he insisted on paying his way. He also really hated getting injured and having to rely on people to get around. He was a loving brother and that was so sweet. I really fell for him and identified with his desire to avoid any shifter trouble (even though it somehow kept finding him). 

Tim was such a breath of fresh air! He initially came across as this easygoing doctor who didn’t really give into his shifter side and I thought that was a great contrast to Nathan and other shifters we had been introduced too so far in the series. I didn’t have long to wait to see how wrong I was in assuming that Tim was all bark no bite because the good doctor was definitely a shifter at times. He was very possessive and protective of Sebastian and it had me feeling all the warm and fuzzies. He honestly cared so deeply for Sebastian and his happiness even at the risk of not having him in his life forever and that endeared him so much for me. I loved how kind, caring and sensitive he was but also how he showed a little teeth and a lot of claw at just the right moment. 

There was a lot of political intrigue in this story as compared to the first one and that had me so happy. I love a good mystery slash thriller and there were elements of that throughout the novel. There were questions I had as a reader all throughout the book and who doesn’t love that? It kept me interested and seeing the increasingly strained dynamic between the two packs play out was a really great part of the story. 

I love this world Annabelle has created. I am trying really hard not to go back into it to quickly because I have a TBR list the size of my arm (which is still growing!). I can’t wait to read the next book and there will probably be another gushy review here for you all! 

I actually enjoyed this book more than the first one. I just enjoyed the couple that little bit more. It got five I love their love stars! 

TK MAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment