Sunday 17 June 2018

Off the Shelf : King Consort by J.R. Gray


In light of recent royal fever this book came at the right time! I loved every minute of reading it and I honestly felt so gutted when it was over. This was the story of Louis, British prince who is very much gay and very much unable to tell his grandmother and Queen and Xavier, scarred paparazzo focussed on keeping calm throughout his days and not really looking for love. When the two meet Louis is enamoured but Xavier isn't so sure...Soon the pair have a love affair of epic proportions going on and neither one of them knows whether it will end with Louis's trip to Canada or if it'll become a lasting relationship that'll last forever.

Louis was amazing! He was hilarious! I loved how he was portrayed by the media as a womaniser and his character was the exact opposite of that. He loved using his position as a royal for good and then retreating to play board games (you read that right) with his sister Anna and the Queen! He was this hilarious introvert who was so polite and well mannered (even when trying to send dirty text messages to Xavier) that you couldn't help but love him! He was so sweet and I loved that Xavier would pick at him and try to get him to loosen up!

Speaking of Xavier. I really loved him! He was this paparazzo who stumbled into the career and tried to make the best of it. He was scarred all the way down his face and it made him shy and retreating at times but he was so snarky and feisty in private with Louis that I just knew that they had to be meant for each other. Their attraction just leaped off the page and it was so fun to read! I really identified with his anxiety and it just endeared him to me more. He tried so hard to do the right thing and even if I raised an eyebrow at some of his choices (sleeping with the subject of your mission?) I understood his reasoning.

Anna, Louis's sister was a hoot! She had been given a bad run of things in the media and had suffered from drug addiction but didn't let it keep her from boldly living her life. I really loved her relationship with her brother and his with hers and how they would protect each other at all costs, having lost their parents at an early age.

This book was full of witty banter, boys being boys and a grandmother who knew what was what! I appreciated how each character told the story from their perspectives and how the book ended in a way that I didn't quite expect! Let's just say that the way the differences between Louis and Xavier were resolved was very typical of boys and I really appreciated how the author stuck to that realness!

Anyway gushing aside, this book was a true 5 star read and I have added it to my favourites on goodreads! More please JR Gray!

Go get a copy like right now!

TK MAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment