Monday 2 July 2018

Off the Shelf: Epoch by Jewel E Ann



This book ripped my heart out and put it back together again. So much happened and it left me torn in two directions, much like Swayze was. 

The book picks up where Transcend leaves off. Swayze is dealing with the death of her friend Erin and her growing memories of Nate. She suspects that there is more to the death of her friend, not to mention Morgan’s death all those years ago. 

Nate is also dealing with a lot, including his growing feelings for Swayze and his concern for her safety as she decides to trod a path of investigation of her memories of Morgan and the deaths of Erin and Morgan. 

Griffin is also torn, worried about Swayze, worried about Nate’s relationship with her and worried about their future. He feels that Swayze’s preoccupation with Morgan will destroy her, destroy them and he has to make some difficult decisions during the course of the book in a bid to support her and do his best for her. 

As you can probably tell, the angst meter on this book was off the scale! I love angst in a novel and this took me through all the emotions from frustrated to angry to sad to elated! 

Jewel E Ann knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat and this book was no exception. It was incredibly well paced but I did find myself galloping towards the end there just because I was so anxious to see how it would end. One criticism I do have though is that I felt like the danger to Swayze was too neatly resolved. This is probably (definitely) my love of romantic suspense novels speaking here but I really wished there had been more of a confrontation between Griffin and the threat to Swayze. I struggle when the pivotal part of a novel is dealt with in past tense. It’s like I got cheated of the best part and I couldn’t help feeling that way with this one. 

Overall I thought this book was a lovely conclusion to the duet. I definitely enjoyed the first part of the duet more but the way this ended had me so happy. It just ended on such a hopeful and beautiful note that I was left thinking “I would read this book in every century...”

I gave it 4 stars...and I seriously can’t wait for more from Jewel E Ann!

To see what she's up to visit her here.

TK MAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment