Thursday 3 May 2018

Off the Shelf: As I Am by Melissa Collins




I am always going on about how much I love angst. And let me tell you, this book had more than it’s fair share! There was so much going on for both of the main characters that it was so wonderful to see them get the happy ending they fought so hard for!

The book tells the story of Noah, a medical student doing his rotations before ultimately making it to Doctor, and Chase a student in his final semester of business school when disaster strikes leaving him as the guardian to his sixteen year old brother Benny. These two seem like the unlikeliest of pairs to meet, but when the good doctor stops off at a strip club, a hook up turns into the ultimate journey to love - eek!

I was really immersed in the love story with these two. They had a lot to deal with. Noah had a really crummy boyfriend who was both insensitive and cruel. I can only imagine the struggle of being in a relationship with someone who is on call for tons of hours at a time (Thirty? Twenty? Ten?) and the strain that must put on things but Rob (the crummy ex) could have said that instead of doing what he actually did (I refuse to ruin it for anyone but recommend you give it a read to find out what I’m going about).

Chase was a single parent at twenty three dealing with his own grief at the loss of his parents, Benny’s grief and his growing attraction to Noah. If that wasn’t enough, he’s a college dropout, broke and desperately in need of a job pronto! I really loved his patience with his brother, his struggle over how to be the perfect parent and brother and his worry how to find the perfect time to tell his best friend he was crushing on him (and had been for a while).

Speaking about best friends, the two in this book were such great secondary characters. Wes, Noah’s colleague and friend, was such a calm yet funny voice of reason and the way he kicked Noah in the butt to get him going at some points in the story made me chuckle along as I read.

Gavin, Chase’s best friend, was wild, a little outrageous but also so endearing. He really cared for Chase (as his actions in the story revealed) and I was kind of half crushing on him myself by the end of the book. I really hope he gets his own book because he deserves it!

The angst was off the charts but I did feel the story could have had a bit more action. There was a lot more angst than action but I totally get that it’s a delicate balance and not something an author can really measure and decide that they’ve got it right. It’s more of a feeling than anything else and I think even that’s reader specific. I loved the story and gave it a 3.5 solid stars! The emotional rollercoaster was gripping and I was happy to go along for the ride!

Visit Melissa here to learn more about her work.

TK MAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment